|ASSIGNMENT: A TEACHING DEMONSTRATION
|The course objectives for English 400 call for you to
be able to (1) design and implement lessons and class activities which
are both theoretically and pedagogically sound and (2) share effective
and innovative teaching strategies with your peers. During the second
third of the semester, you will be doing just this.
|Please design an activity appropriate for the English
101 or 101.10 classroom. The criteria for this activity are as follows:
- Students should be able to complete it in a single class period
- It should address at least one of the objectives for English
- It should be original--something you have designed yourself.
- It should be firmly grounded in composition theory; that is,
it should grow out of your reading in this and your other classes.
- It should reflect the philosophy and approach of the Writing
Programs at Illinois State University as set forth in the Course
Guide and your Instructor's Manual.
|Having designed the activity, make arrangements
to use it in your class. You should do this by:
- meeting with your lead teacher (if you have one) to arrange
a date on which you will implement the activity;
- arranging for your PA to observe your class on the date you
implement the activity;
- submitting an electronic or hard copy to your PA at least
48 hours in advance of your demonstration.
|Format for Assignment
|The plan you submit to your PA and to me should include
the following elements:
- A copy of the objective(s) being addressed by the activity.
- A brief (1-2 paragraph) discussion of the theoretical underpinnings
of the activity, citing sources from your reading for this or
other courses (402, for example) or other texts which have influenced
your thinking as you worked to design this activity.
- A list of any materials needed for the activity.
- An outline of the activity: This should be complete enough that
another teacher could lead the activity based on the instructions
given in the plan
|Once you have implemented your activity and discussed
it with your PA, add a final section to your written plan. This section
should be entitled "Self Evaluation and Suggestions for Revisions."
It should consist of a paragraph or so in which you discuss how well
the activity actually worked in class and how you might change it
before using it again. E-mail me a copy of this version of your plan.
|Return to English 400 Home Page
Last Modified 8-29-04