English 351 Identity Project
Your first project focused on the process of segmenting text, the rhetoric of linking, and the relationship of print to electronic documents. Your second project will focus on the nature of identity on the internet. In this project, I ask you to think about how in creating a web site, you are creating a persona: an identity or fragments of your identity.
Thinking about identity and building an identity are an important part of the work you do in this class. If you have never created a website before, then part of the work you do is reconceiving of yourself as someone who can create websites and is comfortable around all of this technology.
This assignment is a (hopefully) more theoretically informed take on the traditional "make your own home page" assignment (though if you have been dying to create your own home page, you can certainly use this assignment to do so).The idea here is that the web is more than informational nodes and connections between those nodes; it is also a way of creating yourself and reinventing yourself through content, typography, color, media, and connection.
For your identity project I urge you to:
- Browse my list of identity projects from past classes for ideas.
- Make this project more ambitious than your first. Try to learn new things.
- Pay attention to the small details, make sure all of your pages have titles, and all of your links work. Look at your site on at least two different machines.
- Be sure to credit any media or text that you use from other sources.
- Check the schedule for deadlines
- Remember that your reflection is due no later than a week after the project is due.
Fall 2009 Projects: