English Department Advising Goals and Responsibilities
The goal of academic advising in the Department of English is to help you develop meaningful educational plans that are compatible with your individual aspirations.
The Purpose of Advising
In the English Department, academic advising is based on a system of shared responsibility between student and advisor, and a process of continuous improvement, clarification, and evaluation.
We view the advising relationship as an on-going conversation that transcends course selection and attempts to assist you as you explore the breadth of a Liberal Arts curriculum, experience college life, focus on your English major or minor, and prepare for life after college.
English Department Academic Advising Goals
English Department Advisors will:
- Help you clarify your education goals.
- Help you develop an educational plan and select courses consistent with your goals.
- Provide accurate information about institutional policies, procedures, resources, and programs.
- Help you evaluate or re-evaluate your progress towards a degree.
- Make referrals to resources within and out of the college as appropriate
- Empower and encourage you to be a self-directed learner.
Students are responsible for knowing and fulfilling all university, college and major requirements for graduation. To meet these goals, they must:
- meet with an English department advisor upon entrance to the major
- confer with an advisor on a regular basis about major options if the student is initially undecided about a major
- review the tracking (degree) audit each semester to ensure the student fully understands the remaining degree requirements
- seek advisement when in academic difficulty (e.g., below a 2.0 GPA, doing poorly in a critical tracking course)
- maintain their own personal academic records, including the catalog of their year of admission, transcripts, tracking (degree) audits, evaluation of transfer work, and notes from previous advising sessions
Students who at any time are confused about academic requirements or their progress toward a degree are encouraged and expected to meet with an English Department Academic Advisor.