English Studies Internship Requirements
The following are requirements for an English Studies internship:
- Must be a major, minor, or graduate student in some area of English
- Must be at least a junior
- Preferred 3.0 cumulative GPA; minimum 2.75 GPA
- Complete an internship application and a Professional Practice Insurance Certification form.
- An approved internship must be arranged with a provider before you can register for your internship.
- Enroll in ENG 398 if you are an undergraduate; ENG 498 if you are a graduate student.
- Enrollment in ENG 398/498 is by permission of the internship director only. Enrollment permission will be given by the internship director only when application materials are completed and proof of an approved internship is provided.
- An Internship Proposal Form must be submitted for internships with organizations not previously approved by the English Studies Internship Program. The proposal form must be signed by the internship site supervisor and by the student.
- Certain internships have specific requirements of class standing, coursework, or prior internship experience to qualify.
For more information contact:
Dr. James Kalmbach
421H Stevenson Hall
Contact Dr. Haas
Credit Hour and Work Hour Requirements
- You must enroll for at least 3 credit-hours.
- Internships can earn from 3 to 12 credit-hours.
- Credit-hours are determined on the basis of the number of hours of on-site work you will do during the semester of your internship.
- For each credit hour earned you must work at least 48 hours.
- Most students enroll for either 3 credit hours or 6 credit hours per semester.
- 3 credit hours requires a total of 144 hours of work per semester.
Spring and Fall Semester Internship hours
- You will need to work about 10 hours/week for 3 credit hours in a spring or fall semester.
- You will need to work about 19 hours/week for 6 credit hours in the spring or fall semester.
Summer Term Internship Hours
- Summer terms are shorter. Therefore, you will need to work 12 hours/week for 3 credit hours.
- You will need to work 24 hours/week for 6 credit hours.