The mission of the Department of English at Illinois State University, which emphasizes an English Studies model, is to:
- maintain and support an environment of open inquiry and innovation encouraging and extending excellent teaching by all faculty in the Department;
- support and continue to develop model graduate programs at the master’s and doctoral levels also based on the concept of English Studies;
- develop reciprocally supportive links between the undergraduate and graduate programs in English and with the undergraduate and graduate programs in the University as a whole;
- prepare graduates of all English programs effectively for careers inside and outside of education after graduation;
- maintain links with secondary and post-secondary schools throughout Illinois to foster effective research and teaching in the discipline across grade levels;
- maintain and develop public service programs consistent with the teaching and research aspects of the Department’s mission;
- communicate and interact with other institutions having comparable educational and research missions to enhance teaching and research within the Department and to advance theory and practice in the field generally.
The Department of English at Illinois State University is dedicated to providing an environment that facilitates the individual and communal work—creative, intellectual, pedagogical, administrative, and outreach—of our faculty, staff, and students. Our vision is guided by the University mission statement, Educate Connect Elevate: Illinois State, and includes the following:
- create a work environment that values all members as people and fosters positive morale and transparency where possible, acknowledges and honors the professionalism of all faculty, staff, and graduate assistants in our various roles, and recognizes the interdependence of our work through informal and formal discourse;
- promote innovative and dynamic pedagogical research, scholarship, and practice in the classroom and the curriculum;
- support through reassigned time and co-teaching opportunities interdisciplinary research and publication, while continuing to value the forms of research and publication that are appropriate to a particular field;
- continue to articulate and revise a multi-dimensional understanding of English Studies that responds to the changing needs of our students, the field, and the world;
- maintain our commitment to providing students with a learning environment and community that supports growth as individuals, professionals, and citizens;
- strengthen diversity in the composition of our faculty, students, and curricular and pedagogical approaches through individual, programmatic, and departmental action;
- secure the human resources, facilities and other resources required to support excellence in scholarship, teaching, and research.